• 4/4 10:59am NC, I am very disappointed by your despicable attempt to discredit and sully Mike Kulesza personal reputation. You truly epitomize what is very wrong in politics today. Candidates take the low road and sling the dirt at their competitors so they won't have to discuss and debate the substantive issues. Norfolk residents are intelligent and well educated so I suspect your smear campaign won't work.
    Now let's review a key issue facing the town and the candidates position. Ramesh Advani has no plan to get Stop and Shop to move forward and build a supermarket. His position is that we should trust Stop and Shop and that he is somehow assured of Stop and Shop's good intentions from private meetings he has attended with Stop and Shop.
    Excuse me Ramesh, but Stop and Shop has absolutely no intention on building a supermarket in Norfolk. They want to restrict local competition so they can keep their prices higher than would otherwise be the case at their four stores in Franklin, Wrentham, Foxboro and Walpole, all within 5 miles on Norfolk. Why would they build a fifth store just to cannibalize their existing business? Dutch Ahold, Stop & Shop's parent, has a poor corporate track record regarding business ethics and is not to be trusted. Unlike Advani's do-nothing plan, Mike Kulesza has outlined a smart and aggressive plan as follows
    1) First Flush out Stop's and Shop's intentions by setting a deadline (based on new time-based permits) for completing construction of the supermarket
    2) If Stop and Shop contests the new permitting process, then engage the Attorney General of Massachusetts to pursue an investigation and;
    3) Simultaneously form a Community Development Corporation for the purpose of seizing the land by eminent domain.
    Ramesh Advani in his letter in the Norfolk Boomerang suggests that he can't discuss in public the strategies that the Town is carrying out toward Stop and Shop because this will compromise the Town's ability to get the best possible solution. Mr. Advani states the town has had "private meetings" and these things have moved along. Excuse me Ramesh, but you are not a C.E.O. running a private corporation. You have an obligation has a publicly elected official to fully disclose what you are doing in private meetings with Stop and Shop to get them to move forward build our much needed supermarket. I don't know how you can say things are moving along when nothing has happened on this site for years.
    Ramesh further states "it would be extremely irresponsible for me to suggest that land banking activity is going on. I have not been able to confirm any of the information that Mr. Kulesza has provided." I ask Ramesh to explain why Stop and Shop is proposing to build the supermarket only after the other retail tenants are signed up and that the supermarket is only going to be 50,000 square feet. This plan is contrary to how every other retail development is built. The large anchor tenant (supermarket) builds first and then the supporting cast of retail tenants follow. Also, Stop and Shop only builds large superstores, not small 50,000 square foot buildings. I would ask Ramesh to carefully read this report regarding Ahold's anti-competitive corporate behavior. (UConn PDF). This report states
    "Ahold/Stop & Shop's latest attempt to erect barriers to entry in the northeast United States involves its acquisition of shopping centers and other sites suitable for supermarkets not for the purpose of operating a supermarket, but so that a competing supermarket cannot operate on the site. For example, as noted above, Starwood Ceruzzi acquired a Big V store in Poughkeepsie, New York across the street from a Stop & Shop, and rather than lease the store to a Stop & Shop competitor, the site has remained without a tenant for over one year, In fact, I understand from Wakefern that Stop & Shop has acquired no fewer than ten shopping centers in the northeast, and that only one of these centers has a supermarket tenant. Moreover, Starwood Ceruzzi, which in the past has developed supermarkets for Stop & Shop and acquired supermarkets and then sold these stores to Stop & Shop, has purchased fourteen shopping centers. Not one of these fourteen centers has a supermarket tenant. This anti-competitive "land-banking" strategy is consistent with the conduct of Ahold/Stop & Shop described above-to erect and maintain barriers to entry and thereby acquire and maintain a dominant position in the regions where ShopRite competes. The impact of this conduct on reducing competition cannot be understated: as recognized by Thomas Infusino, Wakefern's Chairman, when he testified at trial as to entry barriers (Big V Supermarkets, Inc. v. Wakefern Food Corp.): ..."

[From Univ of Conn Dept of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Food Marketing Policy Center: An Antitrust Economic Analysis of Stop & Shop's Proposed Acquisition of the Big V Shop Rite Supermarket Chain, by Ronald W. Cotterill, Feb 2002]]

- SM
  • Home