• 4/4 12:52pm   In response to AB:
    First of all, as a current library media studies graduate student I would like to say yes, the school library should be the hub of the school, and yes, the school library and public library are two different entities and function in different ways. However, when you're talking about the level of instruction presented to the students particularly at the F/C Library, please reconsider your post.
    The library curriculum at the F/C library aligns the Massachusetts State Frameworks, local benchmarks and Information Literacy Standards for Student Learning as stated in Information Power by the American Association of School Librarians and the Association for Educational Communications Technology, and I have done the best that I can in the short amount of time that I have been in Norfolk to gradually create and develop a library program that teaches, demonstrates and encourages
    • information literacy
    • independent learning, and
    • social responsibility
    As far as the partnership between the public library and school library, I cannot respond on the history of this agreement, however, the benefits our students have received through this partnership is enormous
    Did you know that I also teach web evaluation, interpreting URLs, bibliographic citations? Did you know that I collaborate with Mr. Guertin of NCTV on a media program? I have also collaborated with some of the other faculty members to focus on specific teaching needs? For example, I just completed a folktales unit (Standard 16 of the grade 3 language strand) with grade 3.
    These are just a few examples of what I TEACH in the library. There is so much more that I had planned for our students, but I won't have the opportunity to do so.
    As far as your comments on literature, yes, I still bookshare and do a few read alouds, but my focus in on student learning, research, and information.
    Food for thought: Ross Todd, in response to this question during an interview by Debra Lau Whelan in School Library Journal Feb. 1, 2004, "Do school and public libraries need to collaborate more closely to get older students interested in reading?" said
    "School and public libraries are functioning as separate entities and need closer collaboration and dialogue to provide a much more holistic information service. Students should use public libraries in addition to school libraries as part of the information chain. We didn't work out a solution in the research. The role of study is not to provide a solution, but to begin a dialogue to find a solution."
    Please, think about the statements you made in your post. It's hard enough that some of us are not only feeling the loss of our positions, but it's the loss of resources that our students will no longer have access to at all. It doesn't matter if I'm here or not- the students are going to miss out on so much.
    You may find this ridiculous, but this is a grieving process some of us are going through. Maybe you should see if they'll hire in the fall if you're looking to take a stand and be proactive.
    - HM
  • Home