• 5/5 8:01pm   Mr. Advani: This is in reference to your post of 5/3 1:18pm; an excerpt follows:
    "I would also suggest to those who have been displaying a lack of grace in postings here, either by accusing me or my supporters, dropping innuendos, making unwarranted speculations, and taking pot shots (SM, PC, KC, JC, MA, MT, etc.) to show some character. Come out of the woodwork, come to our Selectmen's meetings and work openly with us to solve the Town's problems. Don't dismiss it by saying you are too busy. So are we and we lead very productive lives just like you do!"
    I'm trying, very hard, to understand what you could have been thinking when you wrote some of the disdainful and rather inappropriate portions of your article. In fact, I find it hard to believe that you took part in a composition, of that nature, at all.
    I would have preferred to ignore your unkind remarks altogether, and dismiss this incident with the belief that it was a simple matter of your choosing the wrong words, or you were ill advised, overtired and still supercharged with adrenalin because of your recent campaign victory. But I can't do that, Mr. Advani, because you've publicly made direct uncomplimentary personal references to me (albeit I'm named in part of a group), in your scathing tirade. Too many of the people who know me, readily identify me with the initials MT, therefore I regret that you've left me no choice but to respond in this open letter.
    My name is M. T. [name omitted - Wm.] I suppose you didn't have any way of knowing who I (MT) was when you were making your accusations, but I have signed all my posts to NorfolkNet with my full name, as I'm sure the webmaster would confirm. I've never objected to, or refrained from, signing my full name and authoring any of my writing or public speaking. Regardless of that, you wouldn't have had to travel far within the town hall or beyond, to determine my MT identity. You would have learned that you had had my respect and that I've always spoken well of you. At one time, I even had hopes that you'd be one of the greatly needed "breaths of fresh air" that's been absent for so long in town politics.
    You invite me to come out from hiding in the woodwork, without your even realizing that I've never been in hiding. For what I believe is justified and with sound reasoning, I've often taken great pains, at a significant cost to myself, to address the inherent problems in our town government. You and I have previously spoken on town issues and in fact, you might recall, I've made my presence known and displayed my support for you at some of the selectmen's meetings. You'll never find me cowering in the woodwork, Mr. Advani! I've also been in attendance and watchful at other town board meetings. It is specifically because of my attentive observations, coupled with my experience, that I sometimes feel an obligation to present constructive or disputatious information for the betterment of our Town.
    Sir, you questioned my lack of grace, my character and in effect my integrity and my honor. I won't dignify such a lowly insult except to state that I have a longstanding reputation of standing fast and facing my adversaries, even when everyone around me has either fallen or simply melted away. I'm proud of the fact that even many of my more worthy opponents think well enough of me to pay compliments and vouch for my character and sense of honor.
    You then charge me with "dropping innuendoes, making unwarranted speculations, taking pot shots and accusing you and your supporters" (of what, I do not know). None of that is my style, Sir. Conversely, on occasionally I'm considered too direct by some. I don't know how to best address these comments, Mr. Advani, because you haven't made them clear enough. Please point out the innuendoes that I've dropped; the pot shots and accusations that I've aimed at you; and any other unwarranted speculations. By the way, while you're searching the NorfolkNet archives for my derogatory remarks to which you've referred, maybe, instead, you'll find an instance or two where I had spoken up, in the cause of fairness, in your behalf.
    I await your response.
    Sincerely,
    - M. T. [name omitted - Wm.]
  • Home