• 2/9 12:54pm  

I have read with interest some of the comments about me and my presentation at KP. In an effort to clarify exactly what took place, I submit the following.

About 2 weeks ago, I received along with Rep. Ross, Poirier and others an EM from somebody calling us, miserable, vicious, vacuous along with other negative comments because we voted to allow the marriage amendment to move forward to the voters. If you recall, the SJC ordered us to vote on this issue. Richard and I responded to the writer. Later, we learned that the writer of this critical EM was a teacher at KP high, a fact he did not point out to either of us when writing to us. Richard and I received a few calls from parents and they mentioned that the teacher was railing against us and was misrepresenting our position on this matter. He was attempting to rally the kids to go home, speak to their parents, join some political action groups and do everything they could to "throw us out of office". The parents were very concerned and questions why the teacher's personal agenda was being forced on their children.

I called the Supt. of KP and asked if he could confirm this. He did. He asked if I wanted to come in and present a discussion on the process of govt., current events and speak about the actions of the teacher. The meeting was scheduled 2 weeks ago and it was to address the 2 junior classes that were part of the initial discussion with the teacher.

The evening before I went in, I have received a call from a parent and another from a student informing me that a face book named "Ferriera is God" was posted on a KP High Facebook. When I got to the face book, there was a picture of me modified with devil horn, tail and pitchfork. The title was "Scott Brown ascends from the underword -Tomorrow....come witness the complete destruction of Scott.......".

Throughout the body of this face book page, there were vulgarities aimed toward me and members of my family. Needless to say, I was a bit saddened by the remarks, especially the ones about my family. As a politician, I expect to get mean-spirited and hateful things said about me. I thought the comments about my family were way out of line.

I have spoken to about 800 classes in the last 5 years. I spoke to 5 classrooms this week alone. On the day in question, I began my talk by introducing myself and commenting on some of the things I had been working on. I then stated that there are many "hot button" topics in play these days, like abortion, stem cells, sex offenders, illegal immigration, gay marriage and the death penalty. I stated that I was here to discuss the status of the marriage amendment and the teacher's inaccurate comments about me, his hate filled EM's to me and others and how there are strong feelings on both sides of this issue. I had prepared a packages which included newsletters, copies of letters (pro and con) I had received from people on the issue and a complete copy of the hate-filled face book created by over 50 students.

During the presentation, I continued by stating that some people really love my votes on these issues, and some people really hate my votes. I then referred to some of the letters I had received on the issue. I continued on by saying that these issues are divisive and bring out a lot of hate and intolerance. I read one of the Emails that ....wanted me to die and another letter that included the "fword". I then pulled out the face book. It was VERY clear to me that the writers of this product were shocked actually had discovered it. There was a lot of hooting and hollering, with comments like "how did he get that" "your in trouble now johnny", etc... I stated that even here in this room there is intolerance that has been directed towards me and even my family. I showed them the picture and caption of me portrayed as the devil and read the name of the student that created it. During that time, there was a lot of laughing and embarrassment exhibited most of the students. I continued to read "exactly" what the students had not only written about me, but also about the teacher and some members of my family.

I did not censor it, for it is my belief that when you write it, you own it. The face book included not only the names, but pictures of the students that were engaged in the hate speech directed toward me and my family.

As you all know, this information is a public record capable of being spread throughout the world. I did not feel that I had the right to censor language that was "actually written" by the students and others and directed toward me and my family. Does the school edit books that have the fword or other words or graphic depictions? I know they do not. I was an invited speaker. As other invited speakers that have attended, there is no censorship involved, especially when some of the comments are merely a reading of comments directed at the speaker by the people in the room.

Contrary to the spin by some of the students, I was calm, polite and firm. I expressed to them that I new most of them, their parents and found many of them to be superior young role models that many people look up to. I also told them that I was deeply saddened by the hurtful, mean-spirited, hate speech directed toward me and my family. I told them I expected more from them.

I read a reading which included the Fword twice. I mentioned 2 kids names in those readings. That part of the presentation was 2 minutes out of an hour. The administrators were completely off guard, the kids were embarrassed by the actions of themselves and some of their classmates. I was asked to move on and not refer to the names of the kids anymore.

I did so. I spoke for another 20 minutes about a wide range of issues. I then took Q & A's for 20 minutes. The kids asked thoughtful, controversial questions and we had a healthy debate. Once it was concluded, I spoke to the teacher, the school officials and many of the students. Many students came up to me after and said that they were embarrassed by the actions of their peers and it did not reflect their feelings about me or Rep. Ross or this topic. They also indicated that they were unable to speak freely in class for fear of reprsals from the teacher. They were also glad that I treated them like adults and did not speak down to them.

After the talk, I left and went to National Guard duty. Later that day began to get calls from the media. Apparently the same kids that I had referred to that day had sent EM's to all of the media outlets. In their EM, they stated that I had used profanity, called out and embarrassed students and made them cry.

Yes, I did use profanity. It was in the form of reading what the kids had written about me and my family or placed on the site. I did also name the kids that did it, for they put their own names and picture on the site and I was reading from a public record. The only crying that me and my office staff saw was crying from the uncontrolled laughing that some of the students had in seeing that their buddies had been, as they say "bagged".

While I know as a public figure I am expected to have a thick skin. Believe me, I do. However, as young adults, students should also be held to a standard of accountablilty for their writings and actions directed toward others and their families.

The real question to me is, how many of the parents that are being critical of me actually know what there kids are writing online, my space, face book, etc...? I now know and it is not pretty. My wife and I have taught our kids to stand up for what you believe in, to take responsibility for your actions, and treat people with tolerance and respect. I did not get that from the teacher and many of the students that day.

In closing. I left the school with a heavy heart on the one hand because I realized that there is a lot of hate being taught in our schools, some of which was directed at me and my family. On the other hand, I was encouranged my the students that truly wanted to be heard and make their comments known on this and many of the other issues we discussed. As many of you have asked, I have not gotten an apology from the students that were involved. Unfortunately I probably will not. While the talk did not go as exactly as I had planned, I do not think I would have changed much.

I usually do not respond in this manner and would welcome speaking with "ANY" one regarding this matter. My number is 508-954-7379

Scott Brown

• Norfolknet.com