• 2/10 7:29pm  
    As one of the students who posted on the site, I feel I should weigh in on the recent Scott Brown incident. It seems important to highlight the events as they were explained to me.
    State Senator Brown's unprofessionalism was present from the start. He arrived at the assembly thirty minutes late and from what I understand, only briefly touched upon the intended issue. He explained that night on the news that he was trying to teach the students the lack of privacy of such websites. However, that was not the issue expected by teachers, students and administrators. In fact the Senator requested that he specifically speak to King Philip students about the issue of gay marriage because he believed that they were being given a limited view of the issue.
    In regard to the postings, the students who posted on the website were a small minority as compared to the many students who were required to attend for class. These students also had to hear Senator Brown's tirade in lieu of actually hearing a debate about an important controversial issue. These students were likely not aware of the facebook.com group, as to view this group, one must register for the site. Most students in attendance had not been exposed to the content on the site, until Senator Brown brought it to their attention. As for the content, most was not at all directed personally at Brown, even less at his family (the packets handed out had many posts edited out - he only wanted the students to see certain ones). If Brown had a personal problem with these posts, as a responsible adult, he should have taken this up with the administration. To call out students in front of their peers and teachers was not a mature course of action; one an adult should have known to avoid, one completely inexcusable for an elected official. Part of his job is to take criticism. The attacks on facebook are the student's right, if they feel this way, they are allowed to post thier opinions. These are not elementary school children, these are mature young adults, most 16 -18 years old, who care about the issue, and do not agree with Senator Brown's view on gay marriage. Facebook hosts thousands of political groups and gets thousands of high school and college kids into discussions and debates about political issues; even allowing members to post "campaign issues." I believe that most, if not all, of the students are not ashamed of what they posted (I for one, am not). They are instead ashamed of coming into an event and having the important political speaker criticize them personally in front of all their peers. Senator Brown's behavior was very unbecoming of a Senator. Parents are rightfully angered, and Senator Brown, as a father, should recognize this and publicly apologize for his behavior.
    - EL + CH
  • Norfolknet.com