• 4/24 9:47pm   Hi there folks,
    RE: UPCOMING "VERIZON BILL" AND THE NEED FOR GRASSROOTS INVOLVEMENT ON YOUR PART!

Thank you for reading this. I have included two links:
    #1 - The Mass chapter of the Alliance for Community Media site with a very clear explanation of the Verizon Bill.
    #2 - An online i-petition for you to hopefully sign and pass on to others.

It recently came to my attention, via our wonderful local community access TV station, that the Community Access Cable stations in our state are at immediate risk of annihilation!! This IS for real and must be addressed if you care about having Community Access. In theory, we OWN the bandwidth,s but things have changed, as we all are aware, what with the ever rising costs of telecommunications.

I did my research and this is not spam, a hoax or a waste of time for you to read!

It is important for ALL communitites to have unbiased use and access to cable television. At this time, when only a few mega-corporations own and manage even fewer media outlets on network television as well as cable, it is IMPERATIVE that a grassroots movement is created and stays involved regarding the "Verizon Bill".

PLEASE CONTACT: THE "JOINT COMMITTEE ON TELECOMMUNITCATIONS" AT THE STATE HOUSE IN ROOM 473 - B. THEIR TELEPHONE # IS: 617-722-2263

ALSO CONTACT YOUR HOUSE REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS!!

When the below petition speaks of "build out" requirements, that eventually will mean that the funding for community cable access will disappear. IMore specifically, it means that when Comcast begins its very predictable "price war" with Verizon, if the Verizon Bill, which is now before the Senate and House does pass, Comcast will be able to discontinue funding for Community Access Cable stations around the state as their individual community contracts expire.. there will no longer be a "monopoly" and Comcast will no longer be required to renew CABLE ACCESS contracts, also known as PEG contracts... and then say, within two to ten years depending on each individual town or city in Massachusetts, Community Access Cable TV will be no more. This is for real!

And I quote from the MASS ACCESS site:

Existing Comcast licenses all provide that if Verizon (or any cable competitor) does not match what Comcast is providing, Comcast may seek relief and reduce what it is currently providing, going down to the competitor's level of local support. As the new bill would result in Verizon providing less than Comcast (in terms of service area construction and Institutional Network), the new bill (if adopted) could result in Comcast being able to seek relief to reduce its existing obligations to go down to the new lower level.
    (see url below to read in complete text please) Etc....

Please feel free to forward this to others... this is important. Thank you! Please read on!!

- PRR

#1 - This will explain the Verizon Bill to you, in a concise way. Please copy and paste the below URL into your browser search window, as it is dependent on all letters and numbers in order to access this page (I had to type it three times to get it right... ohhh!!!):

http://www.massaccess.org/Public%20Policy.html [Click Here]

#2 Now: The petition (I have copied what it said if you want read it before going to the below site... scroll down or just go directly to the petition and sign it. Thanks.

Oppose the MA State Franchising Bill (Verizon) Senate 1987 & House 1298 Petition : ( powered by iPetitions.com )
    www.ipetitions.com/petition/KILLVERIZONBILL

We urge all legislators in MA to vote against Senate Docket 1987 and House Docket 1298, otherwise known as the Verizon bill.

This bill will strip local towns of their ability to negotiate fair franchise deals that include adequate funding to build and maintain viable cable access television stations.

We view cable access and its independence from paid advertising as a vital part of democracy and the competition of ideas.

We support the emergence of competition with Comcast and commend Verizon for entering these new markets. However Verizon has done so many times in MA under the current laws and we do not wish to see these diluted by the proposed new bill's provisions.

Verizon is trying to avoid build-out requirements that Comcast was compelled to make and thus it would be unfair competition with some consumers left with a monopoly supplier and others with a duopoly.

Cable companies are doing well under the current system and there is no reason to change it.

Local control over the public rights of way is a vital cornerstone of Massachusetts democracy and governance.

Each community should benefit from the commercial use of its rights of way, through franchises that meet the particular cable-related needs and interests of that community including:

* Build-out requirements (that prevent red-lining)
    * PEG access operating and capital grants
    * Institutional Networks
    * Emergency override capability
    * Consumer protection & customer service standards

Sign the petition.
    Please go to the below webpage and sign this petition:

Oppose the MA State Franchising Bill (Verizon) Senate 1987 & House 1298 Petition : ( powered by iPetitions.com ) www.ipetitions.com/petition/KILLVERIZONBILL/

Norfolknet.com
    your community, on-line