• 7/9 9:43pm   TM... I think that your posting struck a nerve with many people that have had issues with their neighbors. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape by negative responses. Of course we all have these concerns. I suppose that how we act on them is the real issue. Believe me, I have put up with some quirky neighbors in my time. I am originally from the city where we lived on top of each other.
    I bought my second home in Norfolk about 5 years ago. It was a bank owned dump! We put so much money, hard work and old fashioned sweat equity into this house! We did extensive landscaping ourselves; it was backbreaking. I had people in the neighborhood, that I didn't know, stop their cars and tell us what a fabulous job we have done and thanked us profusely. Ours is one of the first homes in our subdivision and it is the first impression for many of the more expensive newer homes in the area.
    Anyway, a few years ago we had a big pile of loam in our front yard becuase our friend with the bobcat couldn't get to us for awhile. The house and yard looked fabulous in comparison to what it was... but a neighbor actually made a comment that the pile was there a little too long. My husband was very offended. Here we are, trying to do something good by lanscaping, and the neighbor was giving us a timeframe? It was only there for a month or two! Well, how would they feel if the house were still a dump?

I couldn't believe that a comment was made to us. How ungrateful! and how demanding! We have also gotten comments on our RV that's parked in our backyard. Once in a while it comes out when we are going on vacation so that I can stock it up... Evidentally, it's a problem to park it in our driveway overnight. I guess our 30K fifth wheel is not classy enough for the neighborhood. My husband keeps this thing, along with all our vehicles, so clean that you could see yourself in it! No matter what our hobbies are... or what we are into, it's going to offend someone. I can't live my life that way, worrying about what the neighbors think. We are so respectful of our neighborhood and we try our hardest not to inconvenience anyone... People don't even realize that I have a dog... but yet I am completely aware of the neighborhoods barking dogs that relieve themselves all over our beautiful front landscaping!
    I realize that this is not your situation... But I wanted you to hear my story and to try to understand how some neighbors are. Evidently nothing we did was good enough. Where do the demands stop? Isn't this America?
    Norfolk used to be a quaint old affordable cow town. Some folks liked it that way. My husband grew up here when it wasn't "fancy". He wanted to stay here becuase of the town's unpretentious atmosphere. It's really changed. Many people come out from the more urban areas attracted to the quaintness and affordablility, but then want to change it to what they are used to and add the conveniences of suburbia. They want to change it into the unaffordable town that they just moved out of! It doesn't make sense to me.
    - MW

Norfolknet.com
    your community, on-line