• 4/17 9:51am  

WHEW!!! Some people on this thread need a christmas carol, or something to cheer them up. I really started this thread to get some variety from the tax and school discussion.

One common theme in all of these threads has been choice. We have a choice to live with the Moonscape - or not. We have a choice to raise taxes to support teachers - or not. etc.... The point is everyone needs to make a choice. Many want to put a damper on anything having to do with the moonscape, because nothing has happened in years, I suppose that is a choice to do nothing - thats ok - I am not that kind of person, thus the reason for my post. I will add that the school discussion is nothing new either. Facts are Facts in good times you get lots of stuff. In bad times you need to tighten your belts. Neither of these discussions need to be about money - at least at this point.

Regarding schools it is about money management. The easy choice is to reduce staff, that is the way business runs - unfortunately. What about seniors that don't have kids in schools - should they pay more to keep an extra art class or a specialized music program? I am all for variety of curriculum, I have two kids and a third going into the Norfolk system. Fact is the Norfolk schools are pretty good. Look it up. schooldigger.com is one of the sites you can compare. Our elementary system ranks very well in regard to $$ per pupil, computers per classroom and teacher salary - Sorry I will do my homework on KP - I don't have kids that old yet. HOWEVER both of my nephews went to KP, got a great education and got in to some VERY good schools. How good does it have to be and what CAN be done without more money? I believe 50% of the responsibility of a childs education is with the parent. It is funny that when I go to teacher conferences I tell teachers that I will support them in regard to making sure my child does what is required, is respectfull ect.... Every year I get the same response - "WOW I wish more parents felt that way." Not that I am better than anyone, my reason for using that example is that I think it is a sad response to get, and parents need to take more responsibility for their kids - these are the things that make for better schools.

Now that I have started the school thread again, back to the common. Get me the contact info of Stop and Shop or point me in the direction of who has it and I will call them directly - checking with BOS first as I don't want to mess something up they are doing. None of you can REALLY want to keep the moonscape the way it is - come on.

BTW - Regarding the sidewalk to the schools - If there is a requirement that buses won't pick up kids within XX miles of a school - I am all for supporting sidewalks XX miles in each direction of all schools. Start a petition and get it on the Town Meeting agenda. I will be the first to sign it and I will stand next to you and vote for it.

Also - I agree with the library post. It will be a great event to see people - my wife is traveling, but I will check with her when she gets back - we should be able to arrange something.

One last comment to further qualify my comments as I am getting the feeling I will get pounced on - I lived near the prison when I first moved to Norfolk, I live right behind the old airport now. I made these choices and realize I could have had a convict knocking at my door, or have buzzing planes coming in any time now. (In fact I sometimes do now) I don't live in a mega mansion, my kids share a bedroom. I know no one wants things put right in there backyard, but not all development is bad. Done right it can add to the community. My vision is to have booksales on the town green, to have a small harvest fair on the green, to listen to concerts while looking at a town green. That is all I am looking to move forward.

Phew!!! Gotta to go, I need to go sing a Chrismas carol.

- KDL

Norfolknet.com
    your community, on-line