• 5/11 10:47am   SF, I guess it is pointless to try and explain how I feel. People are just not getting it. I find it somewhat ironic that I hear so many teachers saying that they chose to enter teaching despite the low pay. It seems that, as a group, you are the first to complain about the low pay and the low pay raises and to remind us of the many hours spent after school grading papers. This is not just an argument about Danish and coffee... this goes deeper than that. I think that people have gotten so caught up in the Danish event... that they are failing to see what my original statement was. BTW, it still hasn't been answered. What has an appreciation breakfast got to do with the quality of education?. My original post was in response to another... now it seems that everyone has forgotten the original post that I was referring to and has focused on me. I was just trying to shed some light on a possible motive for a comment that someone else had made. I have definitely learned not to stick up for anyone on this board and to keep to myself.
    To me, this argument is about appreciating what you already have, and being sensitive to the fact that there are people who live in this town who think that 78 dollars is a lot of money right now, it's about a week's worth of groceries for my family of 5. Honestly, it's really not about the $78 or where it came from. It's about putting your "wants" aside and appreciating what you have. It's about learning to live in a different world than the one we have been living in for the past 15 years or so. Tough times may be coming. We need to learn how to separate our "wants" from "needs". Next time you vote for something... ask yourself, Can I still live without that?
    No, teaching is not a "cushy" job... but it's a lot better than cleaning toilets. Next time you complain about your low pay raise, ask yourself what it would feel like to be the janitor or the lunch lady. Where do think the money comes from to give you that raise? It has to come from somewhere else in the budget. Maybe as a result of the school district paying your raise, they got a pay cut. Or in the case of my family they have had to pay more towards their health insurance to give you that extra perk that you want. All I ask is that people be more sensitive.

I have seen teachers on this site asking for recognition over the past few days. That's not very humble. You don't see me on this board telling people what I have done to help others or where it came from... and becoming mad because I am not appreciated. I just do it, without complaining about it or looking for recognition. When I point out that my husband has had health care cuts at his job etc., it is not to whine or complain about how crappy his job is. Not everyone receives affordable health care through their employment.
    AV, I truly appreciate the fact that you chose to serve our country. My father was a WWII Vet, decorated, three tours of duty. He wasn't even born in this country. He lived the rest of his life a disabled vet. He was on a fixed income. Do you know what it is like to live on a fixed income when the cost of living goes up so dramatically? I understand that this topic of discussion may seem trivial to you at this point in your life. Maybe I am making assumptions on your age that I shouldn't, but it sounds like you are young. I am sure that I could dig up a retired Vet or too in Norfolk who are living on fixed incomes for you to speak to. To them, $78 is not trivial... To them, it is the cost of a prescription that they may desperately need but dont have the money to purchase.
    I too have served my country in a different way...so please don't make assumptions on how I live or how I should spend my money, or what I should think is trivial or not. I don't make it a habit to go around telling people that I worked 2 fulls days per week for free at the Hanscom AFB Dental clinic during Operation Desert storm as a civilian, so that the military could staff the clinic and be able to send more dental personnel overseas to help soldiers. I don't make it a habit of asking people to appreciate me for donating my time to help special needs patients receive quality dental care. I just do it because I want to...No strings attached. All I ask is that people pause and look at how their actions are effecting the others around them. It's very easy to say...I want, I want, I want... without thinking about how it may effect others.
    - MW

Norfolknet.com
    your community, on-line